Subject: Lifting pastedown

Lifting pastedown

From: Susan Lunas <bookbinder>
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2004
I am currently working on a late 19th or early 20th century book (no
date anywhere in book), and the client would like me to replace or
repair the cracked front board.  The book is "Bryant's Poems" by
William Cullen Bryant and published in Chicago by M.A. Donahue and
Co.  The book is 5 x 7.25 inches, and has one of those padded
leather bindings.  The leather on the binding is in good shape; the
only break in the joint is about 1 inch long on the front joint. The
board is cracked parallel with the spine along a line about 1/3 the
distance from the fore edge.

In order to mend the cracked board I was going to lift the paste
down, and then readhere it.  The adhesive appears to be paste.  I
have tried the damp pack trick, with no success.  Anyone have any
ideas for lifting this reluctant pastedown?

Susan Lunas
Eugene, Oregon

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 23, 2004