Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Ann C. Nez <acnez>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 2004
We purchased an electromagnetic security system and are working on
guidelines for security stripping the collection.

We want to add strips to all the bound volumes in our Reference
Area. This includes a number of deteriorating leather volumes with
damaged spines and paper in varying stages of embrittlement.  We're
concerned that the adhesive security strips will further damage
these volumes, especially if we bury the strips in the gutter
between pages. Will the strips cause the brittle paper to crack and
break?

The condition of these volumes won't permit using the type of tag
that is inserted in the hollow of the spine.

Does anyone have experience using security strips on this type of
material and the consequences of placing the strip between the
pages?

I would prefer to put the security strip on the inside back cover or
end sheet in an effort to preserve all pages of the text.

Has anyone developed a decision tree for security strips that takes
preservation concerns into account?

Ann Nez
Bibliographic Control Librarian
University of Washington