Subject: Landscape paintings on photographic base

Landscape paintings on photographic base

From: Glenn Willumson <gwillumson>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 2004
I am interested in nineteenth century landscape paintings that were
painted over photographs.  I am aware of this practice with
portraits but not with landscape.  Next week I will be visiting two
American landscape paintings made by a known photographer in 1859
and 1856.  They are reported to be painted on canvas and over
emulsion.  They are quite large: 27 x 42 inches and 27 x 40 inches.
I would be very interested in knowing if anyone else has come across
landscape oil paintings over a photographic base.  I would also be
interested in reading more about the process.  I am aware of two
Mervyn Ruggles essays about paintings on a photographic base (JAIC,
1985 and AIC Preprints, 1983).  If there is further literature on
the subject I would appreciate the citations.

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 23, 2004