Subject: Matting agent for Acryloid resins

Matting agent for Acryloid resins

From: Laura Smalarz <preservationworkslrs>
Date: Monday, May 17, 2004
The statue I am currently conserving is mainly metal, plastic, and
wood, and will need to be re-displayed outside.  There is a lot of
inpainting that needs to be done on areas of loss, and I am using
Maimeri Restoration Colors suspended in B72. I am using B48N as the
final varnish to protect it from the outdoor elements. However, the
objects that comprise the statue have various sheens that need to be
retained.  All of the acryloids/paraloids (B72, B67, B48N, B44)
produce a glossy finish.  Is there anything I can add to create
matte and semi-gloss sheens? I know that Liquitex makes Soluvar in
different sheens that I can apply over the different Acryloids, but
is this my only option?

Laura R. Smalarz
Conservator
Preservation Works Inc.