Subject: Mold on hats

Mold on hats

From: Teri L. Herbert <herbertl>
Date: Monday, April 26, 2004
I am involved in cleaning out my parents' house and have found 3
World War I military hats, all carefully wrapped and stuffed with
plastic bags.  The cloth part of the hats has mildew, both inside
and outside; the leather brim and trim just a little bit of mildew.
I am asking for help in how to clean them up properly and if anyone
has suggestions of an appropriate museum (United States) that they
could be donated to.  Right now, I have taken all the plastic out
and placed them on individual sheets of paper in the living room
where air circulates and some (very) indirect sunlight can get to
them.  Please, if anyone can suggest ways to eliminate the mildew
without damaging the cloth, and ways to preserve the leather parts,
I would be grateful.

Teri Lynn Herbert, Charleston, SC

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 4, 2004