Subject: HEPA vacuum cleaners

HEPA vacuum cleaners

From: Iona McCraith <iona.mccraith>
Date: Saturday, April 24, 2004
I am considering purchasing a vacuum with HEPA filter for cleaning
artefacts and archival collections with heavy dust or mould. I have
been looking at the Nilfisk GM80, which I have previously used and
liked and another model the 3M Portable 1 HP Motor Vacuum, which
also has a Type 1 HEPA filter.  I would like to hear from anyone who
has used either or both these models. What in your opinion are the
pros and cons of each. The 3M is considerably cheaper but I wonder
if the quality and durability of the vacuum matches the Nilfisk for
what I want to use it for.

Iona McCraith
Preservation Consultant
Bethany, Ontario