Subject: Map

Map

From: Chris Taylor <gowest>
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2004
I am looking for some advice and/or a source of advice on
preservation of a map in our collection. We are about an hour from
Kansas City.

The item is an 1857 map of Atchison, Kansas Territory including a
section of street map and area map of region along Missouri River.
The map has been in a display case (in the wrong place) and in
moving it, I saw what I feared had been done.

The map has been placed on linen (I think) cloth, which was tied
over a wood board (solid pine from appearance not plywood) then the
part I was afraid of it has some type of lamination material over
the map which adheres less to the cloth backing but seems pretty
attached to the paper and it is stapled along the edges to the wood
backer. Is there any hope for removing the lamination material? And
are we talking mega bucks? The piece is about 42 x 27 inches--edges
frayed and once panel of map from corner is missing. Thanks in
advance for any advice on what might be done.

Chris Taylor
Executive Director
Atchison County Historical Society
PO Box 201