Subject: Moisture permeability of resin solutions

Moisture permeability of resin solutions

From: Nina Roth-Wells <backriver1>
Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2004
I am presently working on a panel painting that has an
unprimed/sealed reverse and end grain.  I would like to seal these
areas with a reversible synthetic resin to stabilize the panel at is
present moisture content.  (This moisture content has been evaluated
by a wood conservator and we are in agreement that now is the time
to seal the panel).  I welcome advice on which resins to use.
Ideally I would use a resin with the lowest moisture permeability.
However I am constrained a bit by the solubility of the resin as
there is a large signature on the reverse of the panel.  Initial
testing finds that the signature is not soluble in xylenes.  If
anyone knows of a source that compares moisture permeability of
resins or has experience with this problem I would be grateful.

Nina Roth-Wells
Georgetown Maine

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 4, 2004