Subject: Chartham Translucent

Chartham Translucent

From: Christine Smith <consartpap>
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2004
Babette Gehnrich <bgehnrich [at] mwa__org> writes

>I wondered if anyone has information regarding the permanence and
>aging properties of the paper "Chartham Translucent" made by Reich
>Paper of NY.

I have not worked with that particular paper, but have treated a
collection of serigraphs that were interleaved with what might be a
similar paper.  That product, a translucent cotton paper, was
labeled as being solvent free. Nevertheless, oily looking spots
appeared on many of the prints and on Color-Aid samples that I used
to replicate the damage. Removing the spots was time-consuming,
tedious, expensive, and not always totally successful.  I have a
partially complete article about this, which I will submit to a
journal when I can finish writing it. (The manufacturer refused to
provide helpful information, and analysis at two museum laboratories
did not provide any specific information.)

 In summary, I suggest that you make storage mock-ups with the kind
of papers, media, and housing methods you are contemplating and age
the samples for at least five months before using any unproved
translucent paper as a cover sheet over valued objects.

I hope this is of some help.  Feel free to contact me directly if
you have further questions.

Christine Smith
Conservation of Art on Paper, Inc.
2805 Mount Vernon Ave.