Subject: Chartham Translucent

Chartham Translucent

From: Babette Gehnrich <bgehnrich>
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2004
I wondered if anyone has information regarding the permanence and
aging properties of the paper "Chartham Translucent" made by Reich
Paper of NY. The manufacturer states that the paper, made of 100%
pure cellulose fiber, is lignin-/ acid-free, free of elemental
chlorine, and "free of chemical agents that make some translucent
papers brittle and hard to fold". Recommended to me by a colleague
at Harvard, I currently use this paper for the temporary storage of
works in progress. I would like to use it as cover sheet for matted
items, as the paper's translucency, smoothness and weight, make it
the perfect choice for that application. Would anyone know of any
reason why this paper would be unsuitable for the permanent storage
of works of art on paper?

Babette Gehnrich
Chief Conservator
American Antiquarian Society