Subject: Embellished Spanish Colonial paintings

Embellished Spanish Colonial paintings

From: Kristy Jeffcoat <kjeffcoat>
Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2004
I am a conservator at the Denver Art Museum and have undertaken a
research project involving the construction, history and
conservation of embellished Spanish Colonial paintings.  By
embellished I mean the addition of lace or jewels to the surface of
the paintings.  Often times these additions are no longer intact but
existing fragments or depressions on the surface can suggest that
they once were a part of the painting.  I am wondering if anyone has
run across such paintings or peculiarities in your Spanish Colonial
collection and if so have they undergone conservation treatment?

Kristy Jeffcoat
Kress Conservation Fellow
Denver Art Museum

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 15, 2004