Subject: Cat litter containing zeolites

Cat litter containing zeolites

From: Andrea Reichert <areichert>
Date: Thursday, April 1, 2004
I'm currently working on the cleaning, humidification and flattening
of a large maps and plans project. I recently came across an item
that was previously treated during the 1940's during which time the
varnish layer was removed. It is 60 years later and the organic
odour is still very strong and difficult to impossible to be around.
I thought I might attempt reducing/removing the odour by placing the
item in a chamber with zeolites. It is my understanding that some
brand-name cat litters contain zeolites. Since this is a on-off
project, I'd like to be able to find something locally and in very
small quantities. Is anyone aware of any specific brands that
contain or are comprised of zeolites that are available in Canada? A
review of the DistList archives, internet searches and trips to a
local pet store have turned up nothing thus far.

Andrea Reichert
Conservator
200 Vaughan Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 1T5