Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Kaisu Voutilainen <kaisu.voutilainen>
Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2004
We are at the moment dealing with paper documents that are quite
badly damaged by mold. I would like to hear opinions from other
paper conservators how to deal with them. Documents are dry-cleaned
and in stable condition but some of them are so fragile that they
have to be strengthened or repaired with japanese tissue. Right now
we are considering whether we should disinfect--and how--the
documents while we are making wet treatments (washing and lining) to
the objects. How fast papers should be dried after wet treatments
without waking up any growth of mold (if not disinfected)

We have been using as a disinfectant 0,5% natriumortofenylfenolat
(immersion in 30 minutes) and we would like to hear how do other
conservators work with their mold damaged material.

Kaisu Voutilainen
paperconservator
National Archives
Finland