Subject: Teletype

Teletype

From: Rachel Roberts <rachel>
Date: Monday, April 5, 2004
We just received a teletype that is in poor condition.  The paper
appears to be worn thin in spots from folding, and tears have begun
to form along some of the creases.  I think there is some foxing in
one corner.  Ordinarily we do not accept items in poor condition but
because of the historic nature of the item, we agreed to do so.  I
don't know that we can afford conservation right now, but can anyone
tell me what to do with it in the meantime?  It is in a frame with
no glass and nothing separating the mat from the teletype.

I wanted to remove it from the frame without destroying the paper
backing because the donor had written his name and the date and
place where he had it framed; I'd like to be able to save the
backing for our files.  Can anyone recommend a way to a) remove the
paper without destroying it (I assume I can't just steam it open
like an envelope) and b) how to treat/care for the teletype until we
can get funds to conserve it?

Our curator recently bought some Bookkeeper deacidification spray in
a spray bottle, but I am reluctant to use it until I've heard from
someone else who has used it successfully. Rachel Roberts

Rachel Roberts
Dallas Historical Society
214-421-4500 ext: 110
Fax: 214-421-7500