Subject: Linocut ink

Linocut ink

From: Scott Williams <scott_williams>
Date: Monday, April 5, 2004
Jonathan S. Farley <j.farley [at] rbgkew__org__uk> writes

>I have a linocut print dating back to the 1930s which was put into a
>frame in the 1950s. The frame had no matt and perspex instead of
>glass. The ink of the linocut is very heavy and, having been pressed
>against the perspex for so long has stuck quite firmly to it. The
>perspex is deteriorating fairly rapidly and the print needs to be
>removed from it.

I cannot advise on how to remove the linocut from the perspex, but,
because of my interest in deterioration of plastics I would very
much like to see a description of the deterioration of the perspex.

R. Scott Williams
Senior Conservation Scientist (Chemist)
Canadian Conservation Institute

                  Distributed: Thursday, April 8, 2004