Subject: Housing woodcuts

Housing woodcuts

From: Shannon L. Parker <shparker1>
Date: Thursday, April 1, 2004
I'm looking for some information on how to appropriately store
woodblock cuts. We were recently given a small group along with an
archival collection, that were used during this individual's
publishing career (roughly within the last 50 years).  As these are
too bulky for the archives storage, we agreed to house them properly
in the collections storage.  None of them are extremely large, but
the black ink comes off very easily--which makes me concerned about
the other objects that may be stored near the woodblocks.  I was
considering simply making individual four-fold enclosures, but would
love to hear some experienced suggestions--ie. should they be
wrapped in a tissue or glassine?  should the be stored upright
instead of flat (several of them are carved on both sides of the
block)?, etc.  Also, are there any long term problems I should be
aware of that could occur with these types of material?  Thanks for
any and all suggestions

Shannon L. Parker
Collections Manager
Indian Arts Research Center