Subject: PVA-based paint binder

PVA-based paint binder

From: Michael J. O'Malley <michael.o'malley>
Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2004
We have a small colour-field painting in the lab by Fernand Leduc
(1964) that features flat areas of brightly coloured matte paint.
The paint is very sensitive to abrasion, to aromatics and all polar
solvents, which severely limits our options for treating the stains,
tidelines, scuffs and scratches on the surface.  Analysis of the
binding media by FTIR shows it is a PVA-based polymer. Has anyone
had success that they'd care to share in cleaning, inpainting or
reducing dents and scratches from these kinds of delicate surfaces?

Michael O'Malley
Centre de conservation du Quebec

                  Distributed: Thursday, April 1, 2004