Subject: Online course on museum storage

Online course on museum storage

From: Helen Alten <helen>
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2004
The Northern States Conservation Center is pleased to announce the
first of many on line classes. The first course is 'Museum 201:
Storage for Infinity' scheduled to start Tuesday April 27, 2004 and
run through Thursday, May 13, 2004.

MS 201: Storage for Infinity
April 27-May 13, 2004
Outline:

    1. Introduction
    2. Storage Philosophy
    3. Agents of Deterioration and Preservation Planning
    4. Storage Facilities
    5. Storage Furniture
    6. Preparing Collections for Storage
    7. Storage Materials
    8. Storage Mounts
    9. Storage of Specific Collections
    10. Funding Improvements
    11. Conclusion

The course format is self paced through 11 sections. The instructor
will be available at predetermined intervals throughout the course.
Students will be working individually and in groups. Materials
include web versions of instructor Helen Alten's Powerpoint
lectures, reading materials (a book on storage written to complement
the class is provided electronically), and lecture notes. The
lecture topics are listed at <URL:http://www.museumclasses.org>. For
each topic there will be links to additional readings and discussion
topics.

We are experimenting with up loading audio lectures for each
Powerpoint presentation but don't worry, we will make sure all
audio, if used, is transcribed into text for those with slower
computers and connections. Supporting resources may include message
forums, weekly online chats, email support, projects, quizzes, and
links to relevant web sites.  The course will cover all the details
needed to plan or improve a storage area to meet current
preservation standards. This course will include handouts, on line
literature, slide lectures, and student teacher/group teacher
dialog. The course is limited to 20 participants.

Since this is our first course using this format, we have discounted
it as much as possible, and hope you will give us LOTS of feedback
about the course during and afterwards.

Fees for the course will be $275 and include all electronic
materials. Because we don't know what your library currently
contains, we will recommend other readings and publications, but
won't provide them with your course fee. (This also keeps the cost
down for you.) However, all of the books we mention will be
available through our on line store. As course participants you will
receive a 15% discount on anything you order through the duration of
the course. (Foreign students will need to plan approximately 20% of
their order for overseas shipping costs.)

If you are interested in the course, please contact Helen Alten at
helen [at] collectioncare__org and sign up at MuseumClasses.org. Signing
up as a prospective student now for any future courses is encouraged
and does not require payment. Students will receive an enrollment
key via email before the class begins. Enrollment keys are needed to
enter the course. Enrollment keys will not be given out until
students have paid.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 30, 2004