Subject: Cleaning metal

Cleaning metal

From: Melissa Marsh Heaver <mmheaver>
Date: Friday, March 26, 2004
In my spare time, I am on the Vestry of my local church. We have a
nickel and silver alloy cross, c. 1957, that hangs from the ceiling.
It is at least 8 feet tall, and was cast to represent thorns.

It has been taken down for Lent, and stored. We hope to have it
cleaned and probably relacquered, as it hasn't been down in at least
15 years. The local person the church wants to do the job is
suggesting that it be cleaned via "sand-blasting", but with glass
beads. Is this a wise idea, or will we be removing metal? If this
method isn't a good idea, is there anything else we can use to clean
it and get the grunge off?

Melissa Heaver, Registrar
Fire Museum of Maryland

                  Distributed: Friday, March 26, 2004