Subject: Crayon portrait on linen backing

Crayon portrait on linen backing

From: Tara Kennedy <tkennedy>
Date: Friday, March 26, 2004
I am looking for some treatment options for this object. In my lab,
I have a crayon portrait of a young woman, heavily enhanced with
chalk and pastel on a primary substrate of paper and a secondary
substrate of linen.  The paper layer has split and lifted in many
places, but is mostly intact on the linen. I have proposed to the
client that I would try and stabilize the portrait as much as
possible on the linen, rather than removing the entire paper
substrate and relining it.  The object tidelines easily, so I need
to use minimal water techniques.  I also need an application method
that will not disturb friable media.

Basically, I need a consolidant that is tacky enough to hold the
paper layer bits back down onto the linen, and can be applied thru
an ultrasonic mister or the Becker Preservotek AGS 2000 without
changing the media surface appearance dramatically or disturbing it.

I have tried the following materials, applied while the object was
on the suction table: Becker Preservotec AGS 2000 with
methylcellulose (A4C and A4M), and wheat starch paste (both with the
maximum concentrations that the AGS would allow), but they do not
penetrate well enough, or have enough initial tack.  Application of
ethanol in a spray before application of the consolidant did not
help with penetration.  I am considering gelatin, but I thought that
would produce too shiny a surface, but that appears to be the only
consolidant I can use with the AGS 2000 with the most initial tack.

Has anyone had any experience with a treatment like this?

Tara D. Kennedy
Paper Conservator
Gerald R. Ford Conservation Center
Nebraska State Historical Society