Subject: Rockwell Kent painting

Rockwell Kent painting

From: Gay Myers <pgmye>
Date: Friday, March 26, 2004
Nina Roth-Wells <backriver1 [at] gwi__net> writes

>Does anyone have any experience treating paintings by Rockwell Kent?

We have treated quite a few paintings by Kent. On one of these,
Black Head (1905) there was clearly artist's retouching on top of
varnish--actually sandwiched between layers of varnish.  This was
not extensive, and it didn't cause flaking, but it made cleaning
difficult, and we had to thin the varnish very gradually and leave
quite a bit of varnish on the painting.

We also came across a much more dramatic case of a painting where
the story was that Kent had extensively reworked an earlier
composition late in his life. We saw the painting but didn't treat
it--I think that it eventually went to Ken Needleman at Fodera Fine
Art Conservation in New York, and he may know more about it.

                  Distributed: Friday, March 26, 2004