Subject: Facings

Facings

From: Anne-Katrin Stockmeyer <a.stockmeyer>
Date: Monday, March 22, 2004
I am a student at the University of Applied Sciences Cologne,
Germany in the course in conservation of wooden objects. In a
project at university I'm preoccupied with facings used to secure
endangered polychrome painting on interiors or altars temporarily
until they are consolidated.

Beside the question of whether you need facings for this reason at
all, if you have to remove a facing, I know that every now and then
there are massive problems peeling off these pieces of facing paper
without damaging the paint layer, especially if the facing has been
done years before.

With your help, the first stage of the paper will be concerned with
a compilation of reasons for problems during removal: if it is
mostly because a less than ideal system was used; if the
concentration of the glue was too high; or if deterioration during
aging may be the problem.

In a second stage, I will try to find a solution for a project
involving layers of casein paint.

So, if anyone had been confronted with problems while peeling a
facing from polychrome interior or similar materials, I would be
very much appreciated to know:

    What kind of facing materials were (probably) used (binding
    media/what kind of paper) on which kind of paint (binding
    media)?

    What kind of problems arise from the removal?

    Suggestions about the causes for the problems

    Which system worked well on what kind of paint layer

Anne Stockmeyer
University of Applied Science
Cologne, Germany
+49 221 3674767