Subject: Continuing education

Continuing education

From: Martin Obrien <martinjob>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2004
Anne Lane <alane [at] charlottemuseum__org> writes

>.. if I want to learn in more depth about such issues as
>safe cleaning, minor repairs and preventive conservation of the
>items in my care, where do I go? I am looking for something in the
>middle ground between basic collections care and professional
>conservation, leading not to a degree but to better stewardship....

I think you are on the right track with the Campbell Center courses.
I have been there and think that the facility and faculty are first
rate.  I would recommend further study there.

I am a wooden artifacts conservator so I am basically referring to
information in this area, although you should keep in mind that
there is a lot of cross over of techniques between the various
materials and areas of conservation.  For example, I use a lot of
techniques 'invented' by paintings conservators.

There are excellent (wooden object related) courses taught by Don
Williams (Senior furniture conservator at the Smithsonian) at Dakota
County Technical College in Minnesota
<URL:http://www.dctc.mnscu.edu>

MESDA (Museum of Early Southern Decorative Art) in Winston-Salem, NC
also has seminars from to time which would address your interests
<URL:http://www.oldsalem.org>

As far as books go, I would recommend Furniture Care and
Conservation by Robert McGiffin and the newly published Conservation
of Furniture by Shayne Rivers and Nick Umney.

Of course, searching 'CooL' (Conservation OnLine)
<URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu> can help answer specific
questions.

And, the AIC wooden artifact group web site:
<URL:http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/wag/>

This only barely scratches the surface, but is a great foundation.

I have found other conservators eager to share and educate, so you
should not hesitate to seek out conservators in you area.  I am more
than willing to share.

Martin O'Brien
Martin O'Brien Cabinetmaker
606 N. Trade St.