Subject: Beeswax and needlework

Beeswax and needlework

From: William Minter <wminter>
Date: Friday, March 19, 2004
Soren Ibsen <soren.ibsen [at] ub__ntnu__no> writes

>Rachel Kennedy <rachel-kennedy [at] cis-gw__tamu__edu>, in a message posted
>by Emily Jacobson <ejacobson [at] ushmm__org> writes
>
>>    I am a member of Embroiderer's Guild of America and I'm doing
>>    research involving  needlework conservation.  I know that
>>    beeswax is frequently used to wax sewing threads for various
>>    reasons ...
>
>Linen thread used for bookbinding or restoration of books have been
>waxed with beeswax. ...
>...  I also think that clean unbleached
>beeswax without any additives is the best choice for waxing the
>thread.

I think that many book conservators in the US would avoid beeswax
because of the impurities. As an alternative, we would use either
paraffin wax, or Renaissance (a micro-crystalline wax). Bill Minter

William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045