Subject: Air pencil system

Air pencil system

From: Steven Prins <sprins1102>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2004
Carol Pratt <jcpratt [at] efn__org> writes

>In 2000 there were a couple of postings describing the Air Pencil,
>which blows a concentrated stream of heated air and has airflow and
>temperature controls.  Other than being useful for lifting
>self-adhesive tapes, what other kinds of chores will this tool do
>and with what success?  The tool itself is listed in the University
>Products catalog.  Any problems, advantages, experiences from anyone
>out there?  I've been considering this thing for some time, but I'd
>like to know more about it before I spring for it.

Thomas Braun suggests that Ms. Pratt check out the Leister tools.
But these were designed for plastic welding and have not been
reengineered for conservation use.  Their handsets are large and
heavy.  Their temperature range and control is not very well suited
to the delicate work of conservators.  And they are quite costly!

At the risk of posing a conflict of interest, I would suggest that
anyone interested in a hot air tool for conservation check out the
SPC Hot Air Tool. The handset on this tool is smaller and lighter.
It can be held like a pencil, making it suitable for hours of use.
It comes with three different sized nozzles.  And, the temperature
range is engineered specifically for conservation applications:
35-550 deg. C.  It is also costs about 30% less than the Leister.
For information contact:

    Steven Prins and Company
    sprins1102 [at] aol__com

Steven Prins