Subject: Unfinished wood flooring

Unfinished wood flooring

From: Lonnie Spin <lonslis>
Date: Friday, March 19, 2004
I'd like to thank all those who responded to my request for help
with the installation of the unfinished wood planking beneath our
new flat file cabinets (Conservation DistList Instance: 17:59
Tuesday, March 16, 2004). All of your swift responses were very much
appreciated.

Since I had very little time to insist that the whole project be
rethought, I settled for holding up the installation one day while
the boards--regular pine, not pressure treated--were taken out and
sanded, vacuumed, and painted with 100% acrylic low emissions primer
and paint. We also had some extra air filters brought in to increase
circulation in the room.

Our facility guys were ingenious in answering the request for more
filtration and circulation. They took regular box fans and duct
taped some HVAC filters to their backsides. It was fast, cheap, and
it worked great. (We had kicked up enough dust during the move that
all of our allergies were informing us there was too much
particulate matter in the air. Right after we installed the filters,
the itchy eyes and sneezing went away, as a rough measurement of air
quality improvement.)

Some of the Cons DistList members suggested that I look in to lining
the cabinet bottoms with barrier materials as well. I am going to
look in to this and see what seems feasible.

Next step in our project, we have to build new storage capacity for
rolled documents. I'm open to suggestions during this planning
phase, if anyone wants to give them. I need to house about 5000
documents that cannot be stored flat due to their size, but none
will exceed 48 inches in length once rolled. Most will be about 36
inches long when rolled.

Thanks very much for all your support and encouragement during this
stressful but interesting time,

Lonnie Spin
Archivist/Records Manager
Santa Clara Valley Water District