Subject: Continuing education

Continuing education

From: Anne Lane <alane>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2004
This is a general request for information. I came into the museum
field at a somewhat mature age and have worked my way up from
volunteer to collections manager for a history museum. I have
learned on the job from some wonderful people, and taken some
courses and workshops on collections management and care, including
the Archaeological and Ethnographic Core Curriculum at the Campbell
Center. While I think I will become a conservator in my next life, I
have neither the time nor the money to pursue such a degree now. My
only chemistry course was taken in high school during the 1960s. My
question is, if I want to learn in more depth about such issues as
safe cleaning, minor repairs and preventive conservation of the
items in my care, where do I go? I am looking for something in the
middle ground between basic collections care and professional
conservation, leading not to a degree but to better stewardship. If
I had to specify an interest in particular materials, I would say I
feel the most lack of knowledge (and the most interest) in the areas
of wood, metal, textiles and leather. Any recommendations of
courses, books, or people to contact would be most appreciated.

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
Charlotte Museum of History and Hezekiah Alexander Homesite
3500 Shamrock Drive
Charlotte NC 28215-3214
704-568-1774, ext 110
Fax: 704-566-1817