Subject: Beeswax and needlework

Beeswax and needlework

From: Emily Jacobson <ejacobson>
Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2004
This question was sent to the Washington Conservation Guild.

    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to
    rachel-kennedy [at] cis-gw__tamu__edu and if of general interest post
    it here as well

    I am a member of Embroiderer's Guild of America and I'm doing
    research involving  needlework conservation.  I know that
    beeswax is frequently used to wax sewing threads for various
    reasons and I'm wondering what affect, if any, this has on the
    condition of the piece in later years. Also, if beeswax were
    softened (by melting it and adding a small amount of oil before
    re-hardening) is there a particular oil that would be safe for
    this purpose from a conservation standpoint?

    Rachel Kennedy
    rachel-kennedy [at] cis-gw__tamu__edu

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 16, 2004