Subject: Dryer sheets and odor

Dryer sheets and odor

From: Carol Fink <cfink2>
Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2004
I have been following a thread on Autocat where "testimonials" on
using clothes dryer softener sheets to quell musty odors have been
posted. Some respondents advise against such behavior, but there are
far more who recommend it--because they do mask the objectionable
odor. My concern is that these chemicals will leave a residue on
whatever books they are in, just as they do my dryer.

I feel that librarians who appear to be somewhat outside the realm
of preservation and conservation should know the ramifications of
interleaving paper materials with dryer sheets, however, I do not
have the technical knowledge to support this position.

Will a conservator offer some advice to be forwarded to Autocat on
best practices for deodorizing books?

Carol Fink
Asst. Rare Book Librarian
Library of Michigan