Subject: Silicone rubber as an artist's material

Silicone rubber as an artist's material

From: Franziska Herzog <franziskaherzog>
Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2004
I am student majoring in conservation and technology of paintings
and sculptures at the State Academy of Fine Arts Stuttgart, Germany.
At present I am working on my final thesis concerning Ron Muck, a
contemporary London-based Australian artist who is renowned for his
hyperrealistic sculptures of human figures.

My degree coursework focuses on his technique and the materials
used, His sculptures basically consist of fibreglass and Silicone
RTV one-part rubbers (Acetoxy Cure).

I am at the end of my examinations and now engaged in potential
problems of conservation/restauration.

Does anyone have any experience with ageing, problems and treatments
of such RTV-1 rubbers? If you may provide any information concerning
fibreglass or the combination of these two materials it would be
helpful as well. I would very much appreciate any information,
experience etc.

Franziska Herzog
+49 711 65 86 811

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 16, 2004