Subject: Workshop on binding music

Workshop on binding music

From: Alice Carli <acarli>
Date: Monday, March 15, 2004
The Sibley Music Library (serving the Eastman School of Music,
Rochester, NY) will once again be holding its annual summer Music
Preservation Workshop, this year during the week of July 12-16. It
is available both for one to three credits (there is a graded exam,
a required textbook and 35 hours of instruction) CRN 14816 $850 per
credit, and non-credit, CRN 14801 $420.

The course includes hands-on work with basic binding and
conservation techniques--pamphlet binding, paper conservation,
construction of specialty binders and other housings, preservation
photocopy preparation -- and lectures/demonstrations/discussions
dealing with vendors who do music binding, reformatting and
deacidification, as well as preservation program management,
disaster planning, sound recording conservation, and other areas as
needed. Since the class is deliberately kept small I am able to
tailor the curriculum each year to the particular needs and
situations of the individual students involved. The goal of the
program is that students who complete it should be able to construct
or order appropriate bindings for new music in odd formats, and
treat or replace damaged or brittle scores; also that particular
preservation needs of students and their libraries are met.

For more information you may e-mail me directly at
acarli [at] esm__rochester__edu, and/or visit
<URL:http://www.rochester.edu/Eastman/summer/?ID=14> The page
includes a link (click on "applying" just above "COLLEGIATE
STUDIES") with information on housing and forms for application.

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

Alice Carli
Conservator
Sibley Music Library

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 16, 2004