Subject: Recreating marble

Recreating marble

From: Paul Harrison <paulehar>
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2004
I have had an urgent request from a possible customer to mend a
broken bust of a male in marble with a 17 century European wig. It
is one of those big hair, Charles II of UK types. It was not
properly packed and a curl not only got knocked off but then
mislaid. The curl was in an obvious place on his head, so it is a
bit disfiguring to the poor sculpture.

I have been asked to replace the missing bit, *urgently*. Does
anyone recommend a product that can imitate slightly aged
marble--other than carving fresh marble, a skill I have yet to
develop, and then aging it. I can see myself carving a fake piece
and casting a replica and sticking that on, I may have to cast the
wound site too, to get a good join.

I have used a product called Technovit to mend alabaster,
previously. They were very sympathetic materials. I might try
experimenting mixing in a white powder to this. But I'd be
interested if the Cons DistList brain-trust has a better suggestion.

The ideal product must ideally, be easily available in Hong Kong,
where there is not a dedicated conservation supplier.

Paul Harrison
Phoenix Conservation Ltd, Hong Kong

                   Distributed: Monday, March 8, 2004