Subject: Storing chemicals

Storing chemicals

From: Mark Ryan <mryan>
Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2004
I'm interested in hearing from those responsible for the storage of
organic solvents and/or acids and bases in their respective
institutions and labs.

We have a functioning print studio housed within our museum (the
Plains Art Museum).  The print studio is equipped to produce many
different types of prints, and as such employs a number of different
acids, bases and solvents in their production.

We're specifically interested in how these sorts of materials should
ideally be stored.  Should acids, bases and organic solvents be
stored in the same flammable liquid storage cabinet?  My hunch would
be that they should instead each be stored in separate cabinets, but
I wanted to get some advice from those with experience storing such
materials?

Currently all of the organic solvents are housed separately in an
approved flammable liquid storage cabinet along with the base (Fuji
plate developer--Sodium Carbonate).  The acids are currently stored
in a wooden cabinet, separate from the flammable liquid storage
cabinet.

I've compiled a list of solvents acids and bases currently stored in
the print shop's two storage cabinets below.

    Acids:
        Nitric, Acetic, Phosphoric, Hydrochloric, Citric, Potassium
        Chlorate crystals, and Dutch Mordant (Potassium Chlorate
        crystals, Hydrochloric acid, and water).

    Base:
        Fuji Plate Cleaner (Sodium Carbonate)

    Solvents:
        Lacquer Thinner, Acetone, Kerosene, Ancolite Glaze Cleaner
        (Toluene and Acetone), Lithotine, Denatured Alcohol,
        Turpentine, Mineral Spirits, Methyl Salicylate (Oil of
        Wintergreen), and Isopropyl Alcohol.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer,

Mark Ryan
Registrar
Plains Art Museum
701-232-3821; ext. 104