Subject: Call for papers--Conservation of modern and contemporary art

Call for papers--Conservation of modern and contemporary art

From: Barbara Sommermeyer <sommerbar>
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2004
Call for Papers
>From Setback to Success!
3rd Conference of the Working Group Modern Art--Modern Cultural
    Heritage (MKKM) of the German Conservators Association (VDR)
Museum Ludwig, Cologne, Germany
December 3-4, 2004

This is a call for papers for the 3rd symposium which is dedicated
to the practical aspects of conservation/restoration of modern and
contemporary art, as well as of modern cultural heritage.
Conferences often give ample opportunity to present research
projects, or to report on investigations and documentation, but less
chance is given to portray the daily practice--the craftsmanship and
execution processes needed for the actual conservation and
restoration. In particular the unusual materials and unconventional
techniques of the last decades will receive special attention at the
3rd Conference.

The idea of the symposium is to encourage open minded discussions
and the professional exchange of experience. We intend to contribute
to the discourse and therefore ask to share successes, as well as
raise questions or disclose problems encountered during a
restoration. We are looking forward to contributions from your own
experience--also if these might be related to any sort of problem,
since most of the time setbacks lead to success!

The two-day Conference takes place December 2-4, 2004, in the
Cinemathek of the Museum Ludwig, Cologne.

Please send your abstract of approximately 150 words before March
31, 2004. Apart from the lectures short presentations are welcome
about unconventional techniques / procedures / equipment /
experiences from your restoration practice. After the selection of
submissions (April 30, 2004 at the latest) participants will be
invited to submit a draft paper before July 31. 2004. Since the
contributions will presumably be published, the papers will be
collected beforehand and possibly be published as pre-prints.

We will be happy to receive English papers, but unfortunately are
not able to provide any translation.

We are looking forward to your abstracts and send you our kind
regards,

    Barbara Sommermeyer
    sommermeyer [at] hamburger-kunsthalle__de

    Ulrich Lang
    u.lang [at] conserve-art__de

    Christine Frohnert
    frohnert [at] museum-ludwig__de