Subject: Flashe vinyl colors

Flashe vinyl colors

From: Dominique Rogers <do>
Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2004
Erica James <jameserica [at] earthlink__net> writes

>I am currently looking for anyone who has any experience with using
>Flashe Vinyl Colors.  I am writing the chapter on these paints for
>the Painting Conservation Inpainting catalogue.  If you have any
>information or insights to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

In my youth I worked a few years as a ghost for the Op artist Victor
Vasarely. All his 'studio' paintings were made with Flash (Lefranc
and Bourgeois) on canvass or cardboard.  It is a very satisfying
medium. Good points: the colours as long as you follow the star
system and do not use colours with less than 3 stars have shown a
good light fastness. They are easy to mix and I have not found
anything else that give such a flat, uniform, matt surface; they are
easy to remove with acetone.  Bad point: the surface created is
fragile to the touch or even the breath. Mixtures can be kept in
pots for ever (I have some that are 15 years old) as long as you top
them up with water from time to time or have very well sealed pots.
If there is any other information you would like, contact me.

Dominique Rogers

                   Distributed: Monday, March 8, 2004