Subject: Piezography

Piezography

From: Martin Juergens <post>
Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2004
Kenneth Marks <bookman3 [at] bellsouth__net> writes

>Has anyone done any research on Piezography?  I searched the
>archives and did not find anything there.  Other than the
>information put out by InkMall and Cone Editions Press, I have not
>been able to find out anything about its stability, resistance to
>fade, and acceptability for archiving.

As far as I understand the term "Piezography", it is used by a
printing company to designate software and ICC profiles for making
ink jet prints. As such, I find it confuses the digital printing
landscape to certain degree.

The word "piezo" relates to the use of a peizoelectric crystal in
the printhead of the ink jet printer. By controlling the vibration
of this crystal, ink droplets can be formed and sprayed onto a
substrate such as paper.

So what we are looking at are, simply put: ink jet prints. These can
be broken down into ink (colourant in vehicle) and print medium
(substrate coated with ink receptor layer). The combinations of
these variables are endless, and thus can be quite overwhelming. I
would recommend starting your research on ink jet prints with

    Henry Wilhelm.
    "New Pigmented Inks, Dye-Based Inks, and Inkjet papers, an
    Unprecedented New Era has begun in Color Photography"
    <URL:http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
        articles_wir_additional.html>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline. Also look at the other
    publications on that site.

There is also an extensive bibliography on the conservation and
technology of digital prints at the Digital Print Identification Web
site at <URL:http://aic.stanford.edu/conspec/emg/juergens/>

Finally, at
<URL:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/piezo.shtml> you will
find a good overview of what the software called Piezography is all
about.

Martin Juergens
Photograph Conservator
Beerenweg 6-8