Subject: Training opportunities sought

Training opportunities sought

From: Naoko Fukumaru <naokofukumaru>
Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2004
I am a Mellon Fellow this year in objects conservation at the
Detroit Institute of Arts.  I am interested in using my
travel/research money to gain knowledge and experience in
archaeological conservation and am hoping someone can give me
suggestions on how/where to pursue this. Ideally, I want to work on
a site with an archaeological conservator. Barring that, I would be
interested in being a general member of an excavation team, which
would give me a background in the conditions under which objects are
excavated and the state they are in when first brought out of the
ground.

I have a post-graduate degree in conservation from West Dean College
in England, with a specialty in ceramics, glass and related
materials.  I also have a few years' experience working in private
studios and museum labs.

I can devote 2-4 weeks to a project.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated,

Naoko Fukumaru
The Detroit Institute of Arts
Center for Conservation