Subject: Lithograph on cigarette paper

Lithograph on cigarette paper

From: Elizabeth Sobczynski <es.aicp>
Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2004
Jayne Girod Holt <girodj [at] rcn__com> writes

>I have a 20 x 30 inch lithograph on cigarette paper that needs to be
>mounted for exhibition.  I've been experimenting with different
>methods of hinging and so far haven't found anything that doesn't
>cause cockling (my experiments have been on a sheet of buffered
>tissue, which is a similar weight and feel to the cigarette paper).
>I've tried using both thick and regular tengujo hinges, methyl
>cellulose and wheat starch paste adhesives, etc.  I've tried working
>as dry as possible. The print is too large for photo corners or edge
>supports.

I suggest using prepared Gampi or Spider tissue. I used it very
successfully on many occasions.   Prepare your tissue by brushing it
with Methyl Cellulose in water, or Klucel G in IMS, and leave to dry
on a sheet of glass. When dry cut wet and tear a suitable hinge.
Attach to the lithograph by brushing the edge over with IMS to
re-activate tissue prepared with Klucel G, or 50:50 IMS + water if
you decide to use Methyl Cellulose. Press with silicone paper and
hold for a moment to allow adhesion. I would avoid using heat set
techniques as they are difficult to reverse. Good luck,

Elizabeth Sobczynski, ACR MIPC
Voitek Conservation of Works of Art
9 Whitehorse Mews
Westminster Bridge Road