Subject: Conservation of war damaged artifacts

Conservation of war damaged artifacts

From: Richard Trela <rtrela>
Date: Thursday, February 26, 2004
Helen Evans <helen_evans10 [at] hotmail__com> writes

>Can anyone recommend any research or articles relating to the
>ethical conservation of war damaged artifacts and is there anyone
>currently doing research in this field?

I have worked on and am working on war theatre military objects,
specifically American World War II bomber fuselage pieces (Nose
Art).--see AIC 2001 Paintings Specialty Group Postprints.  In all of
my efforts I follow the AIC Code of Ethics and Guidelines for
Practice with curatorial input of preserving the damage caused by
combat.  I believe that a conservator must always seek curatorial
input as well as other relative input such as involving the
community, considering the cultural, historical, and political
contexts of the time as needed on how, i.e., repair or not, to treat
objects damaged by acts of war, terrorism, rebellion, etc., in order
to make the best decisions knowing full well than any non-action or
treatment left undone can always be done at some later time.

Richard Trela, Sr.
Paintings Conservator/Director
Conservation Center
Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum