Subject: Pest management

Pest management

From: Mark Hingley <mark.hingley>
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2004
I should be very grateful if conservators with experience of working
in archives could advise me of the policies they have in place for
dealing with the potential health risks involved with the handling
of vermin contaminated documents. The vermin particularly in mind are
rats, mice and pigeons.

The infections identified so far are: Leptospirosis Toxoplasmosis
and Weil's disease. Advice on long and short term risks and
strategies for dealing with them would be very useful.

Mark Hingley
Senior Conservator,
Conservation section
Norfolk Record Office