Subject: Lithograph on cigarette paper

Lithograph on cigarette paper

From: Linda Shaffer <lindashaffer>
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2004
Jayne Girod Holt <girodj [at] rcn__com> writes

>I have a 20 x 30 inch lithograph on cigarette paper that needs to be
>mounted for exhibition.  I've been experimenting with different
>methods of hinging and so far haven't found anything that doesn't
>cause cockling (my experiments have been on a sheet of buffered
>tissue, which is a similar weight and feel to the cigarette paper).
>I've tried using both thick and regular tengujo hinges, methyl
>cellulose and wheat starch paste adhesives, etc.  I've tried working
>as dry as possible. The print is too large for photo corners or edge
>supports.

In order to attach japon hinges to delicate japon papers without
getting bulges:  I humidify the entire piece in felted Gore-tex and
damp blotters.  When there is just enough vapor humidity in the
paper I apply the hinges and then press the entire piece in
Hollytex,  dry heavyweight cotton blotters, and plexiglas sheet with
a minimal amount of weight. Sometimes just an extra sheet of
plexiglas or two is enough.

Linda Shaffer

                 Distributed: Friday, February 20, 2004