Subject: Lithograph on cigarette paper

Lithograph on cigarette paper

From: Sharon Connell <s.a.connell>
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2004
Jayne Girod Holt <girodj [at] rcn__com> writes

>I have a 20 x 30 inch lithograph on cigarette paper that needs to be
>mounted for exhibition.  I've been experimenting with different
>methods of hinging and so far haven't found anything that doesn't
>cause cockling (my experiments have been on a sheet of buffered
>tissue, which is a similar weight and feel to the cigarette paper).
>I've tried using both thick and regular tengujo hinges, methyl
>cellulose and wheat starch paste adhesives, etc.  I've tried working
>as dry as possible. The print is too large for photo corners or edge
>supports.

Have you tried using hinges with serrated edges and attaching the
points of the serrated edge to the print?

What about matting without hinges e.g.using a polyester sling or
encapsulating in polyester?

These methods are described in the AIC BPG Paper Conservation
Catalog, 5th edition, May 1988. Let me know if you want me to send
you the details.

Sharon Connell
Conservation Officer
Leeds University Library