Subject: Masonite support

Masonite support

From: Rick Kerschner <rkerschner>
Date: Thursday, February 5, 2004
In searching for an alternative to Medex or Medite to use for
shelves in an enclosed case housing our doll collection, we were
referred to Dibond, a thin sandwich consisting of a polyethylene
core with .012 inch Aluminum on either side. It is completely inert,
and is currently used for interior and exterior signs, so it holds
paint well. At first, the carpenters building the shelves were
worried about learning to work with this new material, but the
manufacturers claimed that it could be cut with the the same tools
used for wood: circular saws, band saws, etc, and that the edges
could be easily filed or sanded. Once the carpenters started working
with it, they had no problem making the shelves. It is available in
several different thicknesses. It is available in 4 X 8 inch sheets
that cost about $110. Google Dibond, or go to the Alcan Composites
USA Inc. web site <URL:http://www.alcancompositesusa.com/>

Richard L. Kerschner
Director of Preservation and Conservation
Shelburne Museum
PO Box 10, Route 7
Shelburne, VT  05482
802-985-3348 Ext 3361

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 18, 2004