Subject: Metal polish

Metal polish

From: James Moss <clkmkr>
Date: Thursday, February 5, 2004
Tom Dixon <tom.dixon [at] ngv__vic__gov__au> writes

>I have used Nevr Dull <URL:http://www.eagleone.com/> occasionally
>over many years, but not often or regularly.  Recently I was
>contemplating using it on a fairly continuous basis to polish a
>large gunmetal bronze sculpture over perhaps many years. This raised
>the issue of what was actually in the product.  The manufacturer
>provided a MSDS but this lists the components as "trade secret".
>Further inquiry with the manufacturer revealed only the solvent
>involved was similar to Stoddard solvent and the other chemical
>components were secret.

The "Never-Dull" manufacturer has kept his ingredients "secret" for
many years. They could be discovered via analysis if necessary and
if you have the money. "Never-Dull" is convenient in that it comes
in a form that is easy to use: impregnated cotton bats. Grab a
handful and rub! Although I have used this product occasionally in
the past, I have always been suspect of it so I will perform a ASME
"U" clip test on it next week to see if it will produce SCC ( full
hard brass strip bent in a "U" Shape and exposed to the chemicals)
and let you know the results. *But* that really begs the question of
why use a proprietary product that can be modified at any time in
the future when you can replicate a similar method using chemicals
that are known to you: calcium carbonate, Stoddard's solvent and
cotton batting? Certainly it will not be as "quick" but it will be
safer. The "quickness of Never-Dull has always worried me..... is
there an amine hidden in there? Amines such as mono, di, or tri
ethanol amines are second cousins to ammonia and are documented as
SCC producers.

Jim Moss
Horological Conservator
USA

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 18, 2004