Subject: Self-adjusting stretcher systems

Self-adjusting stretcher systems

From: Hans-Christoph von Imhoff <xoph>
Date: Sunday, February 15, 2004
Verena Muller <skra [at] worldonline__nl> writes

>I want to inquire about conservators working experiences with a
>self-adjusting stretcher-system called "Starofix" (developed in
>1984).

Mr. Staro is alive and still producing. He is the inventor of the
system and perfectly able to explain to you what you need to know.
His address is as follows :

    Giorgio Staro
    31 Rue Jeanneret
    CH-2400 Le Locle (Switzerland)
    +41 0 32 932 11 27
    +41 0 32 932 11 06

I myself have some experience with the system. It is an excellent
system particularly on large format canvases - If a stretcher has to
be changed during a conservation intervention I recommend its use,
but only for formats larger than a square meter. P The best
explanation I know of the purpose and functioning and the reasoning
for the use of self-adjusting stretchers, on the example of the
STARO (R) stretcher system, has been given by Alain Roche in a paper
published in Studies in Conservation Vol 38, Number 1, February
1993, p. 17 ff entitled: "Influence du type de chassis sur le
vieilissement mecanique d'une peinture sur toile" .

Hans Christoph von Imhoff
31, Blvd. de Pirolles
1700 Fribourg / Switzerland
+41 0 26 321 14 44
Fax: +41 0 26 321 14 40

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 18, 2004