Subject: Metal polish

Metal polish

From: Tom Dixon <tom.dixon>
Date: Monday, February 2, 2004
I have used Nevr Dull <URL:http://www.eagleone.com/> occasionally
over many years, but not often or regularly.  Recently I was
contemplating using it on a fairly continuous basis to polish a
large gunmetal bronze sculpture over perhaps many years. This raised
the issue of what was actually in the product.  The manufacturer
provided a MSDS but this lists the components as "trade secret".
Further inquiry with the manufacturer revealed only the solvent
involved was similar to Stoddard solvent and the other chemical
components were secret.

I absolutely respect the right of the manufacturer to protect their
research and effort, but am concerned at possibly using something
that might prove injurious to people or the work of art. I'm not
sure what the protocol here should be.  I'd like to know the
components so I can satisfy myself as to the safety, however it may
not be appropriate to publish this information, if known, for legal
and ethical reasons.

Does anyone on the list know the composition?  Has anyone any
comment on the safety and effectiveness of Nevr Dull they'd care to
share?  What do we as conservators do when faced with a product like
this that seems to work well but which we do not know the contents?

Tom Dixon
Chief Conservator
National Gallery of Victoria
Melbourne Australia

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 4, 2004