Subject: Fire suppression systems

Fire suppression systems

From: Thomas H. Teper <tteper>
Date: Monday, February 2, 2004
UIUC is in the very early stages of planning for the installation of
sprinklers throughout non-sprinkled portions of our stacks. The
first portion of this space was built in 1927 and the last was
completed in the mid-1960s. Although its exact form differs
throughout the additions, all of the shelving is of the hanging,
open stack variety. Ceilings are so low in some areas that light
bulbs present a hazard, so there is concern about creating another
series of head-knockers throughout the space. Additionally, there is
some early concern about the possibility of requiring pipes and
sprinkler heads that run down the length of every aisle in order to
get adequate coverage in the event of a fire.

I would be interested in hearing from others with (1) active or
passive involvement in the planning or designing of sprinkler
systems and renovations including sprinklers for this type of space,
(2) experience at institutions with sprinklers in this type of
space, or (3) experience with disasters in sprinkled, open stacks
that could help inform our planning.

Tom Teper
Head of Preservation
University Library
246F Main Library
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana IL 61801
217-244-8755
Fax: 217-244-4358

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 4, 2004