Subject: pH test

pH test

From: Sandy Easterbrook <fixart>
Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2004
Richard Aitken <raitken [at] wyjs__org__uk> writes

>I have an unusual enquiry. I have been trying to devise a way to
>test paper for acidity without the use of pH strips. I have seen the
>same enquiry I am asking from college students. There are the usual
>meters and electrodes and to stand over a paper for 150 years to see
>if it becomes brittle. This test is aimed at school children between
>the ages of 7-11 years old (key stage 2).

I assume that for kids of this age, you don't need extreme accuracy.
I would suggest the pHydrion Insta-chek surface pH pencil. You just
mark a small X on the paper with the pencil, moisten it with
distilled water and wait 15 seconds. I bought one years ago from
TALAS. I assume they still sell them.

Sandy Easterbrook
Easterbrook Conservation Services,
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 4, 2004