Subject: Drawing aids

Drawing aids

From: Thomas Weynants <thomas.weynants>
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2004
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

Optical drawing aids in art, forerunners of photography, or other
useful utensils--comparable to brushes: This knowledge obviously was
*not* a secret in the 19th century as we all know but common
practice. I do not see why it would be called "secret knowledge"
today. In the centuries before the dawn of photography painters used
optical devices as we all know for a very long time. The question
is: when did it start exactly? I am looking for proof instead of
recent assumptions.

See <URL:http://www.visual-media.be/precursors.html> and some extra
physionotrace images produced with a physionotrace apparatus, a
mechanical wooden instrument with a viewfinder.

Is it possible to find real proof about the use of optical aids,
similar to the physionotrace, by painters in the 15th Century ...

Thomas Weynant

                 Distributed: Sunday, February 1, 2004