Subject: Dust cloths

Dust cloths

From: Carol Fink <cfink2>
Date: Thursday, January 29, 2004
A few weeks ago, I absent-mindedly left a Chix Stretch 'n Dust cloth
between two clamshell boxes. The next morning, they had the pattern
of the cloth imprinted on them in an oily residue. I contacted the
company who sent me the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for these
cloths.  By weight they are 10-15% mineral oil.

I have read that LC has approved these for use in special
collections, yet, I'm reluctant to continue using them to wipe off
shelves and dusty book covers since I get this all over my hands,
too.

Can anyone put my concerns to rest about exposing books (and their
shelves) to mineral oil?

Carol E. Fink
Asst. Rare Book Librarian
Library of Michigan